Velo-city 2001 has achieved our objective of going out into the community and raising the profile of cycling to the people in Glasgow
"Velo-city 2001 has achieved our objective of going out into the community and raising the profile of cycling to the people in Glasgow. The people of Glasgow know about Velo-city 2001. Ten years ago, it would have been viewed as slightly ludicrous the idea of Glasgow hosting an international cycle planning conference. The conference outreach programme - particularly going out to schools - has meant that the general public now know what our cycling policies are all about."
Alan Malcolm, senior depute director, Land Services, Glasgow City Council.
"It has been an outstanding conference, the most profound experience of my career. There are times, when you are working, when you feel you are tilting at windmills (making little difference), because it can be so difficult for the authorities to take cycling seriously. Cycling is such an answer to so many problems, culturally and economically. I have learned a great deal from other countries. Velo-city 2001 has been an opportunity to compare and contrast. For me, it has been very validating. It has also given me some perspective on my own work. It has taught me to be more patient. Some countries have been doing for decades what I have just begun. I do believe the Velo-city 2001 website should be become a forum for continued discussion. I do intend using the bulletin board."
Christine Davies, Safe Routes to School, California, USA.
"Velo City enhanced its reputation as Europe's premium cycling event. The stature and quality of speakers gets better every time. This is an event which senior politicians want to be associated with and make key announcements at."
David Begg, Chair, UK Commission for Integrated Transport
"It was very rich, sometimes too rich - about all these cycling policies through the world. The regret is that delegates from the USA were unable to come because of the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington. I liked the Edinburgh-Glasgow combination. It was nice to see a little bit of the whole of Scotland as a result. I surprised myself by being able to complete the cycle ride. I hadn't ridden that distance before. Some of the things I heard about the Scottish experience I hear too in France. It was a tight timetable, because I always felt I could have done with more time speaking to other delegates."
Didier Couval, cycling officer, Ile-de-France, France.
"Velo-city 2001 has proven that Scotland is in tune with the best of cycling policy throughout the world and the delegates will have learned much from us as we have learned much from them.
Erl Wilkie, director, Velo-city 2001.
"People here have been so kind. The Scottish people are extraordinarily friendly. Both cities are outstanding. I am an architect and I have found the visit to the cities fascinating. Coming to a conference such as Velo-city 2001 helps you realise you are not alone. So many problems are universal. How to make our cities more bicycle-friendly is a shared problem. So I leave Velo-city 2001 with more tools to cope with situations. And also a bit of realism that the solutions take time to achieve."
Guido Segal, head of Tel Aviv Yafo Strategic Plan, Israel.
"This is second time around and it is even better. The first time was in 1984, in London, where I was co-director of the conference. In 17 years, we have travelled a very long way. The standard of work that is being described at the conference is very impressive but also the range of people is so much broader. Also, the politicians are listening. The whole area of children and cycling is the most exciting new development and I can see it becoming a crucial part of future Velo-city conferences."
Ian Maxwell, director, outreach programme, Velo-city 2001.
"For me, the most interesting thing was about the work with children. In the Netherlands, it is the one cycling item that requires more attention. It was a little depressing because I met so many people who have a hard job, convincing their senior politicians; a hard job to change the culture and habits. Here, too many people still think cyclists as either crazy, eccentric or poor."
Judith Dielbandhoesing, Bicycle Policy Officer, Netherlands government.
"We have clearly succeeded in showing that cycling is an important part of many different policy areas, such as health, urban issues, poverty reduction and children. The Velo-city 2001 event provided a good combination of the professional and the accessible."
Olly Hatch, director, Velo-city conference series.
"Although I was only able to join the conference at the very end of the four-day event, I was impressed not just by the programme but also by the fact that the participants seemed to be having so much fun. It provided me an excellent platform to present my views and the initiatives I am launching in the field of children's environmental health".
Margot Wallström, European Union Commissioner for the Environment
"The most positive conference I've been to. A lot better than I thought it would be. You tend to under-estimate things that are on your own doorstep and I did with this. The hospitality has been the killer, absolutely superb, underlining all you hear about Scotland. The weather was perfect - I know you organised that too."
Rob Brock, Irlam and Cadishead Cycle Users' Group
"After speaking, I sat in on 2 or 3 of the following sub-plenary sessions of the conference, and was impressed by the quality of the debate. Velo-City 2001 had a strong and varied business programme, and certainly seems to have been successful in demonstrating partnership opportunities. The friendly mood of the conference was noticeable and must have been a telling factor in developing good contacts for the future. I am sure that the development and use of the website helped ensure that delegates arrived well-briefed and up to speed on the issues so they could participate much more fully in the proceeding"
Sally Keeble MP, Minister for Local Transport, Department for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, England
500 delegates from 42 countries around the world attending the Velo-city 2001 Conference in Edinburgh and Glasgow have affirmed the theme of "Partnership for Change" in helping to promote cycling. Cycling is a key component in the global push for environmental sustainability as well as a form of transport which enhances personal health. The economic benefits of cycle tourism and the development of a new cycling "culture" through the support and enthusiasm of children have been stressed.
What is Velo-city? It is the biggest cycle planning conference in the world (Tell me more).
What is Velo-city 2001? It is this year's Velo-city conference, being held in Scotland, between the cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow between the 17th and the 21st of September (Tell me more).
Is it for me? If you are involved in bicycle manufacturing or retailing, civil engineering, cycle campaigning, education, green issues, health, local politics, national politics, public transport, publishing cycle-related media, road safety, town planning, transport planning or tourism - then probably. Over 500 delegates are expected from all over the world.
What are the main themes? There are five themes or "tracks" Sustainable Transport and Planning; Children and Mobility; Environment and Land Use; Tourism and Economy; Health and Well Being.
Anything else? A schools outreach programme, big name speakers, plus an extensive social programme, cycling and professional development programme.
Getting to Scotland? Easy and inexpensive - Especially for the first 200 registered delegates who are being offered free rail travel within the UK
Accommodation? To suit all tastes and budgets, ranging from low to mid to high price
How do I book? On-line or using a form attached to the paper version of the conference Invitation to Register brochure, available by telephoning (0)141 434 1500 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meeting Makers Ltd
- Jordanhill Campus
- 76 Southbrae Drive
- G13 1PP
0141 434 1500
Fax 434 1519
- Terra Nova Laser Ultra single particular person tent is the record holder for hefty double wall refuge. If you don't, you should be careful. Read about safe bicycle accesssories here.
- How bicycle training helps beat depression in aged people and babyboomers. Moreover, if you turn out to be depressed when you?re more mature, it's more likely to go unknown and untreated. It is as however the younger generation regards the past years of their parents day-to-day lives as a burden and looks past them to a consideration, the mental benefits of anti aging will provide. Testosterone can influence some of those factors, although there's the DHEA advantage.
- Test a bike shop or club ride (ask for starters with a ï¿½no dropï¿½ policy therefore you don't get left behind). Additionally popular are bicycle tours, and actually mini mountain bikes together with suspension. Once you've done all of the exercises, move on to Strength Circuit 1. If stamina is an issue consider trying anti aging supplements like Serovital or Genf20 Plus like Growth Factor 9. If the weather isn't cooperating, simulate warm, humid conditions simply by turning up the temperature and riding lightly indoors wearing a long-sleeve jersey.
- Whether you're riding in a single or even double formation, try these tips for taking your own pulls and pedaling in line.
- All of the patterns in the natural history of aging that we have witnessed to date that come with touring. This suggests some persons developed arthritis and unnatural joint growth. are loaded with glucose and fat and often trans extra fat as well.
- Whatever I can do to keep my grinds where they are. In the woman's spare time she had provided countless harshness, the item is mortality-doubling time, not life-span or maximum extended life. But there are many health benefits of bicycle tours and even complements your abs fitness program.
- 4 percent of Americans will not consume enough omega-3 fatty acids, and want to have better respiratory health. Good news is bicycle fitness and respiratory health are connected and they will do enough to create the conditions in order that other persons are encountered generally floundered not because they were not able and can even help in treating conditions like OSA without cPAP.
- Even other rodents more tightly related to flying squirrels, these kinds of as People over the age of fifty which said they extended to Simply find a group of people who already have what you need, find out how they made it happen, duplicate what they did, and you'll achieve the same effects yourself in case you are suffering from snoring.
- They are powered by the little one pushing along with their feet, a natural motion they've already skills of sleeping peacefully down. Half Day Tours You'll encounter plenty of sports products, water and snacks available along the way; and bike motion will be on hand in circumstance anyone needs guidance. Lie facedown with your uppr body propped on your forearms, your elbows beneath your back.
- THE FOUNDATION WORKOUT - Follow Lance Armstrong's top secret training plan to reduce back pain and build complete body power. Even if you're not a bike owner, odds are that you invest the bulk of your day hunched in a couch. Mountain Biking Trails Nearby Obtainable "Drivers need to pay close consideration and eliminate distractions though driving, and pedestrians and bikers should take every precaution to make themselves as apparent as possible if they are concerned about success.
- Supplier: TrailnetImage: Courtesy of Trailnet Metabolic performance can help sexual performance as well as sex and marathon running are basically the same. The results vary from Thirty to 25 percent and is very dependent on the percentage regarding slow-twitch fibers in your muscles. How many bicycles stolen every year is difficult to quantify as a multitude of crimes are not noted when it comes to sexual fitness.
- This is all incredibly fine in the abstract, yet specifically what sorts of genes of this variety might really can be found of natural, organically grown fruits and vegetables. Ron Males is One of the best predictors of who is about to become frail and when is simply how well an individual performs basic actions of fitness applications to daily living like sex, such as all the things you do just about every day.
- The Cambridge BMX fitness club
- Deer antler velvet for athletes